If you are looking for periodontal disease treatment or treatment for receding gums in Nassau County and Manhattan, NY, set up a consultation with Dr. Marc Levine. Dr. Levine provides laser gum dentistry services and treatment options for receding gums and other oral health problems.
If the gums start to wear away or pull back to expose the roots of your teeth, your teeth can become more sensitive and you may be self-conscious about your smile. Gum recession is one of the signs that you may need periodontal disease treatment but can also be caused by functional and mechanical problems. Once the gums recede, they do not grow back. If left untreated, you can end up losing your teeth.
Gum recession occurs very slowly and many people do not realize that they have receding gums until they experience tooth sensitivity or see gaps forming between their teeth. If your teeth start to look longer than normal or you feel a small dent around the gum line, you may be a candidate for gum grafting.
Common Causes of Receding Gums in Nassau County and Manhattan, NY
Some of the most common causes of gum recession include:
• Gum disease - An active infection in the mouth can destroy the gum tissue and supporting bone structure.
• Tooth brushing technique - If you brush your teeth too hard or are using the wrong brushing technique, you can wear down exposed root structure, further contributing to gum recession.
• Poor dental hygiene - If you are not brushing and flossing your teeth regularly, too much plaque in the mouth can put you at risk for developing gum disease which causes gum recession.
• Tobacco use - If you smoke or chew tobacco, you may develop thick plaque that is difficult to remove without professional cleanings. Smoking is also a secondary risk factor for gum disease.
• Bruxism - Grinding or clenching the teeth can make your teeth shift and cause receding gums.
• Bite misalignment - If the teeth are not coming together evenly, you may develop receding gums.
• Body jewelry - Tongue or lip piercings can irritate the gum tissues and wear them down, causing gum recession.
Treatment options for receding gums include: pocket depth reduction, soft tissue grafts, and gum tissue regeneration.
Gum recession is a serious condition that should be addressed. If you are looking for treatment for receding gums or want to learn more about periodontal disease treatment options in Nassau County and Manhattan, NY, set up your consultation with Dr. Levine today.